NONG KHAI หนองคาย WEATHER สภาพอากาศ

Four released, three re-arrested, drama outside the Bangkok Remand Prison

Another evening of drama, but this time not in the streets but during the release and re-arrest of several of the key anti-government protest leaders. 3 of 4 protest leaders who were released on bail by the Criminal Court yesterday, after the court rejected a police request to keep them detained on remand, were re-arrested. The court rejected a police request on grounds that it was “unnecessary for them to be detained further” and that the court “must consider the rights and liberties” of the detainees “who are still students”.

Just moments after their release police placed more charges on them before they were able to walk from the jail to awaiting family and crowds of supporters.

The only protester to walk free was Patiwat Saraiyam who was released from the Bangkok Remand Prison early last evening with no other charges awaiting her.

The re-arrest of Parit “Penguin” Chivarak, Panupong “Mike Rayong” Jardnok and Panasaya Sitthijirawattanakul was strongly objected to by the the protesters’ lawyer, Noraseth Nanongtoom. He claims that the police action was unlawful, because the arrest warrants, issued by the police in 3 provinces, were invalid after the 3 protesters had acknowledged, but denied, all the charges. He said that they would resort to “civil disobedience” claiming their re-arrest was illegal. He said he would petition the court to free the 3.

None of the 3 protesters were allowed to meet with their lawyer before the charges were laid.

The warrants for arrest were filed by police in Ayutthaya, Ubon Ratchathani and Nonthaburi provinces.

The police’s re-arrest of the 3 protest leaders also caused drama among their families, friends and supporters, who were waiting outside the Bangkok Remand Prison, in some cases travelling for many hours to get to Bangkok, to welcome their freedom, after hearing about the court’s order granting them bail.

In the developing chaos outside the remand prison “Penguin” ripped off his shirt and Panusaya took to the PA system that had been provided by the growing number of supporters . They pledged to keep protesting peacefully and challenged their re-arrest.

More drama followed when “Mike Rayong” was carried, clearly compromised and slumped in the arms of a police officer, from a police van that had brought him from the remand prison to the Pracha Chuen station station before being taken away in an ambulance. He is said to be in a satisfactory condition at the Praram 9 Hospital, recovering from what police described as a “minor scuffle”.

To date, around 80 people have been arrested in connection with protests staged around the country, mostly in Bangkok. Most are now free on bail but a handful remain behind bars.

In other news the Appeals Court has rejected a bail application for protest leaders and human rights lawyer Anon Nampa, citing his release could lead to his participation in more unrest or an attempt to flee. Anon was arrested and charged over various transgressions at the Thammasat University campus and nearby Sanam Luang on September 19 and 20.

Spread the love